Count your many blessings.
Meaning:
- A house with walls, a floor, and a roof.
- Food for every time you are hungry
- Clothes, and shoes without tear or holes
- Washing machine AND dryer
- A nice bed for you, and a nice crib for your baby
- A fan for the summer, and heater for the winters
- Nice furniture and nice "things" to decorate with
- Medical care and the means to pay for it
- Clean water to drink
- Especially the gospel
- A steady income
Last night as Sam, Bojan, and I were doing our weekly grocery shopping, I had an experience that really touched me.
We've paid, were on our way out when I spot a mom holding a baby about Bojan's size, with 3 little kids by her side, probably all under 6 years old. They look very poor. Dirty, nappy hair, torn up little dirty shoes with no socks, with terribly dirty and torn clothes. I even turn to Sam and I'm just like, oh my gosh they're so poor! You think you see poverty in the USA until you come to another country and see what the meaning of poverty actually is. And as I'm looking at them, the kids go straight to the TRASH and start digging, my motherly instincts kick in and I immediately want to give them our entire cart full of food we just purchased. So I told Sam I feel like giving them our whole cart. And my husband just says, "well if we give them our food, we wont have any food..." I didn't say anything instead I just grab the first thing I see which is this big box of knock off froot-loop cereal and walk towards this mother and her children, and I tell her "para tus ninos seniorita" And her kids just look at me, wide eyed, and literally start to jump up and down and clap and jump on me to hug me. I just hugged them back and smiled, and left crying! How grateful these little kids were for a simple box of cereal. They were probably hungry... And here I am over here in my self-pitty sometimes because I miss Target, and I want the clothes on my pinterest, and my house doesn't look like I want it to, and all of these ridiculous everyday complaints that I have when in all reality I have SO much to be thankful for. Next time, I'm sorry hubby, I'm giving them our whole cart of food, and we'll eat at your mum and dad's all week. I know heavenly Father sends people to help you, and sends YOU to help people. I remember hearing a mormon message from Bednar talking about the light of Christ, and how it's the thing in you that compells you to help others. I know it's not Thanksgiving, but I am really thankful for all I have, and for this little opportunity that opened my eyes a little more to who I want to be this year. Which is a charitable person. That same day (while on pinterest) I came across this quote that someone pinned.

This pretty much sums up what I feel. And in all reality, giving can be such an effortless act.
Mexico has many wonderful and beautiful things. But it also has poverty like I've never seen before. I hope I can just help these people/ kids just a little bit, and show them some kindness. Because I say, if you have it, give it! So lets just all be a little more giving this year and remember how blessed we are.
Aww! Roz! This made me teary-eyed! What a neat experience! That is so neat that your instincts just kicked in and you had to do something. I love this story!
ReplyDeleteRoz, KJ told me about her hearing the story on Skype too. These experiences will stay with you always, and you are already expanding the vista far beyond what would be possible here. It's so awesome that you're able to gain 'eyes to see' and 'ears to hear' and a 'heart to understand'. That's what it all boils down to in the end................ Dad
ReplyDelete